Join the Community
[Login / Register]

<
TRENDING TOPICS

HorrorBid Is Almost The New HorrorDomain.com - We Need Your Feedback - Info!!
Greetings everyone! We have been talking about it for a good while now, and the time is ne…
Jason Voorhees Returns In JASON XMAS! See The First 2 Parts Right Here!
If you are craving something new from the world of Jason Voorhees then you have come to th…
Inspired By True Events Comes HOUSE OF DUST - See The Trailer Here!
Redding House Asylum. For some, it is a reminder of a different time when medical treatmen…

JAWS Gets Real: Mako: Jaws of Death (1976)

Bookmark and Share

Share your opinion with the world in this area as horror films get dissected by the fans who love them.

JAWS Gets Real: Mako: Jaws of Death (1976)

New postby sinful Celluloid » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:42 pm

How many killer shark flicks are there? More than you can shake your fins at! It’s time to look at one that’s a little different, a film that actually doesn’t have one fake shark in it. Today on Craptacular Shark Week we look at Mako, no not the little dude from Conan the Barbarian, Mako: The Jaws of Death! Mako came out one year after Jaws and strangely, maybe because of that, the film is a cut above the rest.

Mako is about a man named Sonny Stein, a Vietnam Vet who is a tad closed off from society. While out one day he comes across an Island inhabited by a mythical old man (aren’t they all?) Sensing something in him, the old man hands Sonny a medallion, giving him powers and abilities far beyond those of other mortal men. That’s right, he can now talk to the sharks like Aquaman, sans the Orange shirt, green pants and the crazy bling bling belt buckle!

Now Sonny has the power to control sharks and since he is a war veteran, he understands killing. Hmmm, what’s he going to do? Sonny’s paying gig is that he rents out his pets to the local aquariums, but after finding out that they are mistreating the animals, Sonny unleashes the full fury of his Mako army upon them. Of course one thing leads to another and soon Sonny’s army of sharks are attacking hunters everywhere! Good stuff!

Mako is a different kind of film than I expected. I remember being disappointed when I was a kid because I wanted Jaws all over again and this film even had Jaws in the title. That said, having watched it again when I was older, I really enjoyed it. Sure, its B-movie fun and certainly silly, but its heart’s in the right place.

The film is filled with assorted scumbag types that you want to see eaten. You even get James Bond favorite Harold 'Oddjob' Sakata, he’s even called that in the credits. Awesome! Well this one is watchable on Netflix so you may want to check it out. It’s a pretty decent killer shark flick, just keep in mind that there are no fantastic elements to this film (other than Aquaman anyway). Enjoy.

Other Craptacular Shark Week Entries:

JAWS Runs for the Border: Tintorera: Killer Shark (1977) http://ow.ly/cWxH1

Return of the Italian Shark: Cruel Jaws (1995) http://ow.ly/cWxKI

JAWS TOO: The Last Shark (1981) http://ow.ly/cWxOV
sinful Celluloid
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

Headlines: 197
Relationship: Married
Favorite Sub-Genre: Classic
Favorite Quote: Become a Celluloid Sinner
HorrorBid is a "fan drivin" horror site which includes articles that are written by you the fans. Because of this some stories may have incorrect sourcing or other issues. If you have any concern about a post, please contact us by clicking here.

Return to Horror Movie Reviews