Join the Community
[Login / Register]

<
TRENDING TOPICS

HorrorBid Is Almost The New HorrorDomain.com - We Need Your Feedback - Info!!
Greetings everyone! We have been talking about it for a good while now, and the time is ne…
CABIN FEVER Is Set To Be Remade! Details Inside
Most of you know that CABIN FEVER (2002) is a great Horror film which was directed by Eli…
Video: 10 Iconic Horror Movie Moments
Have you ever thought to yourself, what are the biggest and most memorable moments in Horr…

Game On! Looking Back at "Altered Beast"

Bookmark and Share

General talk about movies, television, music, technology, etc.

Game On! Looking Back at "Altered Beast"

New postby the_vengeful_machete » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:31 pm

Back in 2010 Namco Bandai Games released an updated version of an old classic in Splatterhouse, a pretty straightforward beat’ em up I happened to thoroughly enjoy. While this “re-imagining” of a timeless arcade treasure was indeed fun as hell, this got me to thinking: “where the hell is my Altered Beast update?”

Now, I know there was an Altered Beast re-tooling released for Playstation 2 that didn’t quite make it to U.S. shores, and while I’m pretty miffed about that I remain confident Sega will fix this oversight and re-vamp Altered Beast (yet again) for my Playstation 3.

For those curious few scratching their heads, Altered Beast was an arcade beat ‘em up that had the player taking on a centurion raised from the dead by Zeus, charged with the task of rescuing a kidnapped Athena from a demonic underworld god called “Neff”. Throughout the game the player battles various enemies including zombies and demons. You can also obtain orbs that allow the character to transform into one of many different beasts, including a werewolf creature—love that transformation insert!

The game was pretty challenging, but nonetheless fun, as I put tons of quarters into it every time I went to the local arcade—that and “Rastan” (another one I’d like to see updated, ahh nostalgia). While it has seen a home console release on the Sega Mega Drive (remember that dinosaur?), and most recently on Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection, which I have for the PS3, this game needs an update something fierce. Get Comic legend Alan Moore to pen a story and have some awesome voice-over work (what’s Anthony Hopkins doing?) and I would most definitely reserve me a copy.

Anyway, Bidites, what old school game would you like to see on next gen consoles?
the_vengeful_machete
Stalker:
Stalker:

Headlines: 15
Relationship: Married
Favorite Sub-Genre: Slasher
Favorite Quote: Eye sockets make nice cup holders.
HorrorBid is a "fan drivin" horror site which includes articles that are written by you the fans. Because of this some stories may have incorrect sourcing or other issues. If you have any concern about a post, please contact us by clicking here.

Re: Game On! Looking Back at "Altered Beast"

New postby DoubleshotJ » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:39 pm

I still play this game now and then. A update would be dope
DoubleshotJ
Stalker:
Stalker:

Headlines: 0
Relationship: Single
XBox Live Gamertag: DoubleshotJ

New postby Matt_Molgaard » Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:43 pm

holy shit i loved altered beast! grabbed a sega way back in the day just for altered beast and shinobi.

been a really long time since i played a video game, and im a little blocked on the old shit i used to play, but I'd LOVE to see altered beast get a reboot.

now im thinking about dlin a rom & em just for this! lmao
Matt_Molgaard
Public Relations Consultant

Headlines: 380
Favorite Quote: Welcome to primetime bitch!

New postby Jonny Sicko » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:09 pm

If you like all those old Sega classics, which I also do... there are numerous ROMs and emulators on the net. I have every single NES / SNES / Turbo Graphics 16 game on a drive somewhere lol. I know they came out with a Sonic Sega Classics for PS3, and Altered Beast is included on it, along with Shinobi, Golden Ax, and a few others. I think if you beat the games you get to unlock the real Arcade versions of them.

And on another note, I LOVE the Splatterhouse remake!! That game is ridiculously awesome to me lol. With an insane amount of gore. And that demon mask is f'n hilarious.

Ahhh games I'd like to see remade....

The Magic of Schererazade for NES
Inindo for SNES
An HD total revamp of the entire Phantasy Star series
A PS3/Xbox 360 remake of Maniac Mansion!!!!
Jonny Sicko
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

Headlines: 13
Favorite Sub-Genre: Horror-Comedy
Favorite Quote: "Be a man, Frank! Be a man!"

New postby Matt_Molgaard » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:42 pm

Jonny Sicko wrote:If you like all those old Sega classics, which I also do... there are numerous ROMs and emulators on the net. I have every single NES / SNES / Turbo Graphics 16 game on a drive somewhere lol. I know they came out with a Sonic Sega Classics for PS3, and Altered Beast is included on it, along with Shinobi, Golden Ax, and a few others. I think if you beat the games you get to unlock the real Arcade versions of them.

And on another note, I LOVE the Splatterhouse remake!! That game is ridiculously awesome to me lol. With an insane amount of gore. And that demon mask is f'n hilarious.

Ahhh games I'd like to see remade....

The Magic of Schererazade for NES
Inindo for SNES
An HD total revamp of the entire Phantasy Star series
A PS3/Xbox 360 remake of Maniac Mansion!!!!

holy shit @ maniac mansion - i ADORED that game! that fuckin cheesy ass almost creepy music....another gem!
Matt_Molgaard

Headlines: 380
Favorite Quote: Welcome to primetime bitch!

New postby Jonny Sicko » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:04 am

I remember a while back there was a Maniac Mansion TV show... lol. I only remember that Joe Flaherty was in it, and it was loosely based on the Edison family. I don't remember if the Green Tentacle was in it or not >_<
Jonny Sicko
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

Headlines: 13
Favorite Sub-Genre: Horror-Comedy
Favorite Quote: "Be a man, Frank! Be a man!"

New postby AgnesItsMeBilly » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:21 pm

Golden Axe, Altered Beast, and Streets of Rage!!!!!!! I LOVE THOSE FREAKIN GAMES
AgnesItsMeBilly
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

Headlines: 5
Favorite Sub-Genre: Foreign
Favorite Quote: They mostly come out at night - mostly.

Return to Entertainment