Join the Community
[Login / Register]

<
TRENDING TOPICS

HorrorBid Is Almost The New HorrorDomain.com - We Need Your Feedback - Info!!
Greetings everyone! We have been talking about it for a good while now, and the time is ne…
Trailer For The Sci-Fi Horror EJECTA
Seeing a strange object in the sky that is unknown can be a very scary thing. At first gla…
Here Is The Crazy Trailer For The Twisted Paranormal Thriller DELIVERY: THE BEAST WITHIN
Coming to theaters and VOD next month is the paranormal thriller directed by Brian Netto,…

The World's Most Controversial 'Top 10 Overrated Horror Films' List!

Bookmark and Share

From the classic era to the very latest of today's horror movies. This area is dedicated for horror movie discussion of all kind.

Re: The World's Most Controversial 'Top 10 Overrated Horror Films' List!

New postby Blades » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:21 pm

Boisv wrote:The Exorcist and Suspiria are anything but overrated.

You don't think they're underrated do you?
Blades
New User:
New User:

Headlines: 0
Relationship: In Relationship
Favorite Sub-Genre: Zombie

New postby Boisv » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:46 pm

Blades wrote:
Boisv wrote:The Exorcist and Suspiria are anything but overrated.

You don't think they're underrated do you?

I would say that they deserve the praise that they get. They've both been treated pretty fairly, so I don't consider them overrated or underrated. They deserve to be regarded as two of the greatest horror movies ever made. The Exorcist in particular is an important piece of Cinematic history. One could argue that Suspiria deserves more recognition in the US, simply because it's generally unknown outside of horror or cinema fans, but I think the reasons for its partial obscurity are obvious. It's a VERY Italian film.

Looking at the rest of the list, I'll give my two cents:

Cannibal Holocaust - I was actually happy to see this on the list, because when I saw it I wasn't shocked one bit. Granted, I saw it in the last decade and not the 70s, but no matter. The original Texas Chainsaw and Salo blew my mind. Cannibal Holocaust bored me. However, that is just my subjective opinion. Cannibal held its own as one of the most gruesome movies ever made for three decades, and that's pretty impressive.

Donnie Darko - Sure. I've always felt that this movie was trying to be way more profound than it really is. I found it to be pretty pretentious. This came out when I was in college and there was a period where every party I went to had a room full of hipsters staring blankly into this movie. Ehh. It's not a terrible movie, but IMO it's not the great one people make it out to be.

TCM (2003) - Huh? I've always found this film to be generally regarded as a really entertaining remake with high production value and slick visuals. And that's what it is. It's a stark contrast to the gritty, documentary feel of the original, and I feel the remake was more valid due to it being tackled with a new approach. It's a good film. I'm reluctant to call it overrated because I never hear anyone calling it more than that, just a good film. Do people think it's really great?

Paranormal Activity 3 - Again, are there people really raving about this movie? I know people like it, but overrated? I was disappointed that five KEY scenes from the trailer didn't make it into the movie, and it's my least favorite of the series. But I still don't see why it's overrated. It's generally ok, and overall people seem to find it... generally ok.

The Omen - I wholeheartedly agree with this one. The Omen is a good movie, but it isn't anywhere near the finely crated Exorcist or Rosemary's Baby. Gregory Peck gave us the worst performance of his career, and some scenes are dreadfully cheesy. Again, I like this movie, but it is generally regarded as one of the best horror movies ever made. It isn't.

The Amityville Horror - ditto

Hostel - Yes, I find this to be overrated. It's such a simple, easy, cheap concept. That alone doesn't ruin a movie, but the execution was just as simple, easy, and cheap. I was never a big fan. Saw isn't anything amazing, but I felt Saw did what Hostel was trying to do, but better.

RZ's Halloween II - How can a movie be overrated when virtually NO ONE likes it? This movie is hated by nearly everyone on the planet.
Boisv
Stalker:
Stalker:

Relationship: Married
Favorite Sub-Genre: Ghost/Haunt

New postby the_vengeful_machete » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:43 pm

As for Rob Zombie's Halloween II...

I'll be the first to admit this movie is far from perfect, even for a fan of the movie. I look at this as a different movie than a Halloween movie because, though it is Halloween and Michael Myers, it really is a different movie. Try to imagine it if these were different characters, original, not Halloween. Could it have been a better movie? I dont' know. What sold this movie to me is Brad Dourif's Sheriff Brackett. He's a beautiful acting talent and really did a bang-up job. I mean, when was the last time a victim's death hit a nerve in a slasher movie? And Brad's reaction to finding Annie? nothing short of awesome. So, for me, I guess what makes me defend it is Brad.

Like I said, the movie is nowhere near perfect. The movie is full of holes the size of Alaska, but I can ignore them for some reason where similiar movies just piss me off. But what do I know? LMFAO!!!
the_vengeful_machete
Stalker:
Stalker:

Headlines: 15
Favorite Sub-Genre: Slasher
Favorite Quote: Eye sockets make nice cup holders.

New postby Boisv » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:28 am

Vengeful Machete,

I've always felt that Halloween II is a horrible Halloween movie, but a pretty good Rob Zombie movie.
Boisv
Stalker:
Stalker:

Favorite Sub-Genre: Ghost/Haunt
Previous

Return to Horror Movie Talk