Join the Community
[Login / Register]

<
TRENDING TOPICS

HorrorBid Is Almost The New HorrorDomain.com - We Need Your Feedback - Info!!
Greetings everyone! We have been talking about it for a good while now, and the time is ne…
The Newest Addition To The Elm Street Prequel KRUEGER Is Here!
There are a lot of fans out there that are curious as to what all went on in Freddy Kruege…
The Upcoming Miniseries ROSEMARY'S BABY Has A Brand New Trailer!
If you are in the market for some new Horror to watch on your television, you should enjoy…

*Not An April Fool's Joke* Platinum Dunes in Talks For The Next 'Halloween'

Bookmark and Share

All breaking horror news and rumors for the month of May, 2012

Re: *Not An April Fool's Joke* Platinum Dunes in Talks For The Next 'Halloween'

New postby kizzle » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:58 am

Maybe they should stray from RZs Halloweens and re boot the original 4-6. Do what they did with 4-6 in H20. They ignored them like they never happened. In H3 maybe they should kinda ignore the 1st two remakes but have laurie have a child and Michael stalks her. And take it back to the roots! Not this F*** this or F*** that or F*** you lol. Lets tone it down to the orginal series but still have a modern take on it. Dont get me wrong i loved the violence in the remakes but it just didnt feel like Halloween to me. thoughts?
kizzle
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

Headlines: 6
Relationship: In Relationship
Favorite Sub-Genre: Slasher
Favorite Quote: "Welp, we're fucked"

New postby Boisv » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:41 pm

Well there's a good and a bad to this, so I'm trying to keep a positive spin. The good news is that Platinum Dunes movies aren't really all that bad. In fact, they're pretty enjoyable. Out of the 4 big franchises they've remade, three of them were really fun movies.

To start, the Texas Chainsaw remake was a blast. For me it still stands as their best moment. Sure, it's Hollywood's glossy, over-produced take on what was originally a minimalistic, documentary style classic, but if it was anything it was fun.

Then came Amityville Horror. Lord knows I have mixed feeling on this movie. When I first saw it I was disgusted by how much liberty they took with the story. It bares little resemblance to the book. They had originally announced that they intended to stick as close to the original story as they could, but it ended up being about 90% re-imagined. I walked out of the theatre completely let down. It wasn't until I saw it on DVD that I could no longer ignore how much fun it is. I honestly watch it at least once a year. Once I accepted that it wasn't the same story I actually liked it a lot. It's still a lost opportunity, but not totally worthless.

Next it was A Nightmare On Elm Street, which I loved. I thought that they got the right actor, the right script, and they made Freddy scary again. Thank God. I loved how they went further into him being a child molester.

Finally, I thought they had their one true disaster with Friday the 13th. I could write a novel about how much I despise this remake. It is trash. The token black kid jerking off to an LL Bean catalogue in the middle of the living room. The cookie-cutter bully, the set that looked like an attraction in Universal Studios, the needless, in-genuine pot references, the lack of camp counselors. This wasn't really a remake of Friday the 13th part 1, or even part 2. This was a remake of everything that was inferior about Friday the 13th parts 5-8. This was the ultimate squandered opportunity. The very people who were hired to return this series to its roots caved and accepted the idea that a Friday the 13th movie can't actually have suspense and style and actually be scary. It was just yet another corny monster movie with a hockey mask. A Friday the 13th remake could have been great.

But all in all, 3 out of 4 is a pretty decent track record. They make fun popcorn movies. TCM, AH, and NOES were pretty good remakes that did the job without threatening the legacy of the original.

But now comes the bad part. Even though (almost) nothing that they do is really all that terrible, it's also true that nothing they do is all that great either. They are the go-to studio for dependable, marketable mediocrity. It's clear that after Zombie's universally panned Halloween II, Akkad isn't looking to take a big risk. He's probably just looking to get the series on any sort of sure footing with a movie that at the very least won't have any white horses and Weird Al. And if that's the case, he made a fine choice. Platinum Dunes is a safe bet that the movie will at the very least be coherent and pretty. It will be good enough to sell tickets, even if that comes without being creative enough to ever actually be a great movie. And not to be shitty, but history shows that's sort of how the Akkads like it.

In fact, the thing that bothers me the most about this announcement isn't their work or how I feel Halloween 3 will turn out, it's the monopoly they seem to have. Why should Platinum Dunes get everything? They get to remake all four of the best slashers now? It's just shitty to see one company gobble up so many franchise rights. I'd much rather see another company take a stab at it.

[There was also the Hitcher. This movie was beyond bad, but the original wasn't a classic by any means either so I just choose to forget it ever happened. No one cares that The Hitcher was bad.]
Boisv
Stalker:
Stalker:

Headlines: 0
Relationship: Married
Favorite Sub-Genre: Ghost/Haunt

New postby FB92 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:12 am

Oh no please no.. enoguh with the god damn remakes... keep with the classic horror films and do not remake them just to make money! if the new generation does not like the classic horrors then tough luck to them. they weren't made for attention seekers who can't appreciate great horror.
Last edited by FB92 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FB92
New User:
New User:

Relationship: Single

New postby SlipKnoT » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:56 pm

How about we do a Freddy Vs Jason Vs Michael?
I think it would be a great watch if they got a good story together. Maybe Laurie and Tommy can team up and get rid of Jason and Michael, having Freddy get last word. (And if they did do this, I'm sure another would follow, in which case, Michael can claim victory?)

No?
It must just be my tired brain. Thinking all crazy... :slasher:
SlipKnoT
New User:
New User:

Headlines: 1
Relationship: In Relationship
XBox Live Gamertag: I Sulfur I

New postby fight4fire » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:38 pm

TrickOrTreater wrote:Reboot, continuation, meh, doesn't matter to me. Either way, I just want more Halloween.

Right on! Either way they go, I will be in the seat on opening night. With that said, I would prefer a reboot. TCM and Amityville were really good films in my opinion and if they can do the same with Halloween then I think a reboot would be the best choice. However, at the same time, there might be just enough talent there that they could do a continuation from the pile of vomit that Rob unleashed on us and make it work.
In reality the two options are, reboot or continuation. For those wanting the franchise to die, your vote doesn't count because you can all make the choice to not go see the movie. Besides, believe me, there will be another Halloween. Nothing you can do about that.
fight4fire
New User:
New User:

Favorite Quote: sometimes.....dead is better

New postby fight4fire » Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:15 pm

FB92 wrote:Oh no please no.. enoguh with the god damn remakes... keep with the classic horror films and do not remake them just to make money! if the new generation does not like the classic horrors then tough fucken luck to them. they weren't made for attention seekers who can't appreciate great horror.

Your 20yrs old. You are the new generation! Quit going to see the remakes if you dont like them. pretty simple. Some of us, however, enjoy going to see the remakes. I personally enjoy seeing the famous icons live on and on. I hope they out last me! While the remakes may not live up to what the originals mean to us, they are still good horror movies.
If you sit back and really think about it, the originals werent great movies when you compare them to todays standards. The acting sucked in most of them, there were holes in the story line in all of them. Half the kills were done off camera with very little gore. However, they were what we grew up on. the originals are what captured us as kids during a sleep over with friends. Its no different then music now days. personally I hate the new music and think 80's music is the best. but thats cause its what i grew up on. Im not sure what someone in their 20's grew up on. Scream? maybe....
Halloween H20? Transformers? The "new generation" as you call it will always place different standards on movies than the ones who grew up on the originals. thats just how it is.
remakes arent going anywhere. I suggest those that dont want to see them, stay home and watch american idol or pop the original movies in their blu ray and watch them for the 10,000th time.
fight4fire
New User:
New User:

Favorite Quote: sometimes.....dead is better

New postby AMadSquirrel21 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:06 pm

I agree with a lot of those before me... as long as the film is NOT in 3D, I'm going to be happy to see it if it's a reboot/continuation/found footage/something new altogether. The 3D gimmick is getting old and doesn't work well on non-animated movies IMO.
AMadSquirrel21
New User:
New User:

Relationship: Single
Favorite Sub-Genre: Vampire
Favorite Quote: Game over.
PreviousNext

Return to May/2012