Join the Community
[Login / Register]

<
TRENDING TOPICS

HorrorBid Is Almost The New HorrorDomain.com - We Need Your Feedback - Info!!
Greetings everyone! We have been talking about it for a good while now, and the time is ne…
CABIN FEVER Is Set To Be Remade! Details Inside
Most of you know that CABIN FEVER (2002) is a great Horror film which was directed by Eli…
The Newest Trailer For THE QUIET ONES Is Here!
With a team like Lionsgate, Exclusive Media, Traveling Picture Show Company, Midfield Fil…

Lionsgate Toying With The Idea Of Rebooting The 'Saw' Franchise

Bookmark and Share

All breaking horror news and rumors for the month of August, 2012

Lionsgate Toying With The Idea Of Rebooting The 'Saw' Franchise

New postby Brian Massey » Tue Aug 07, 2012 8:47 pm

Back in October 2010, the "final" entry of Saw hit theaters, and ever since then we've been waiting very patiently for another Saw film to emerge. True the powers-that-be have stated multiple times that the franchise has run its course, but I guess you can call us naysayers - because were not buying it. The Saw franchise has made Lionsgate a ton of bank, and it just doesn't seem feasible to let Jigsaw rest in peace. With all that said, some very interesting news has just surfaced via Bloody Disgusting.

As per Bloody, Lionsgate is tinkering with the idea of rebooting the Saw franchise, although an eighth film isn’t out of the cards. It should also be noted that nothing is official, and nothing has been decided. Things are at infant stages at this time, but rest assured, Jigsaw will return.

So it looks like the games may begin all over again, or just quite simply keep on going. Let us know in the comments below if you're for a reboot, sequel, or if game should remain over.

Source; B-D
Brian Massey

HorrorBid is a "fan drivin" horror site which includes articles that are written by you the fans. Because of this some stories may have incorrect sourcing or other issues. If you have any concern about a post, please contact us by clicking here.

Re: Lionsgate Toying With The Idea Of Rebooting The 'Saw' Franchise

New postby horror_2.0 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:07 pm

All horror fans knew that this day was going to come. The shitty thing about it is that this series doesn't need a remake to have it screwed it up anymore than it already is. I look at the "Saw" franchise as more of a trilogy because the first three were the only ones that we actually entertaining and could be called "good". So, let Lionsgate do what they want with the series since there isn't much more they CAN do to fuck it up more than it already is. :roll:
horror_2.0
New User:
New User:

Headlines: 0
Relationship: Single
Favorite Sub-Genre: Psychological
Favorite Quote: "Big Thing's Have Small Beginnings."

New postby joshk1986 » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:30 pm

How depressing that this is what the film business has become. We've seen it coming for a while now when remakes started becoming more and more common in the early 00s (thank you Platinum Dunes)... but to now start rebooting/remaking/re-imagining/revamping movies and franchises that aren't even 15 years old is just plain sad.

My theory is this: You hear studios say stuff like 'The Saw franchise has run it's course', and you hear fans go on about how bored they are with the growing franchises like Paranormal Activity etc. Maybe the problem is that the time between films are getting shorter and shorter.

I have no problem with seeing film franchises grow and become successful. But take the Saw films as an example - the first was released in 2004, part II came out in 2005, part III came out in 2006, part IV came out in 2007 and so on... Of course fans grew tired of the series! There was no time to really spend away from them and therefore build proper demand for the films!

I think if Hollywood strikes gold with horror films like Saw and Paranormal Activity - RELAX. Don't get over excited and make 10 films over 10 years. Allow the fans to love it and from there build it into something that could be even bigger.
joshk1986
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

Headlines: 3
Relationship: In Relationship
Favorite Sub-Genre: Slasher
Favorite Quote: Somebody blows their nose and you want to keep it?

New postby freakengine » Tue Aug 07, 2012 11:20 pm

I'd actually be fine with it if they'd spend a little more money and make something that actually had decent production values. The Saw story is interesting but the films themselves were so cheaply made that they're often hard to take seriously. Sadly, Lionsgate didn't even spend much on Hunger Games so it's hard to believe these wouldn't continue to be cheap schlockfests.
freakengine
New User:
New User:

Headlines: 2
Favorite Sub-Genre: Classic
XBox Live Gamertag: freakengine

New postby CZW_CJBecker » Wed Aug 08, 2012 12:05 am

There's no need to reboot at this stage. There's still enough material for an 8th movie. Hoffman's a loose end that needs to be tied up. Much like Detective Matthews, he could break his foot to get out of the chain in the bathroom. Plus, there's the matter of Dr. Gordon being back. I'm a big fan of the franchise, so I'd definitely love to see an 8th film. But a reboot/remake? Way too early in the game.
CZW_CJBecker
Stalker:
Stalker:

Headlines: 98

New postby UberJason78 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:11 pm

Far out! I love the Saw series. The story is well written, and eventhough the last movie did not have great 3D effects, it was pretty good. If they wanna start a new series, I'm going for it. A remake isn't necesary for many years, so get a new victim in the story, and also, they haven't solved the little girl from part 3, who's still imprisonned, and was spoken to by Amanda.
The new victim can be the new Jigsaw killer...eitherway, I love these movies, and if the storyline is as good as the previous ones, it can be a hit
UberJason78
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

Headlines: 0
Relationship: Single
Favorite Quote: Shut your hole honey, mine's making money

New postby kizzle » Wed Aug 08, 2012 3:57 pm

joshk1986 wrote:How depressing that this is what the film business has become. We've seen it coming for a while now when remakes started becoming more and more common in the early 00s (thank you Platinum Dunes)... but to now start rebooting/remaking/re-imagining/revamping movies and franchises that aren't even 15 years old is just plain sad.

My theory is this: You hear studios say stuff like 'The Saw franchise has run it's course', and you hear fans go on about how bored they are with the growing franchises like Paranormal Activity etc. Maybe the problem is that the time between films are getting shorter and shorter.

I have no problem with seeing film franchises grow and become successful. But take the Saw films as an example - the first was released in 2004, part II came out in 2005, part III came out in 2006, part IV came out in 2007 and so on... Of course fans grew tired of the series! There was no time to really spend away from them and therefore build proper demand for the films!

I think if Hollywood strikes gold with horror films like Saw and Paranormal Activity - RELAX. Don't get over excited and make 10 films over 10 years. Allow the fans to love it and from there build it into something that could be even bigger.

Bravo! Couldnt have said it better. Films like SAW and paranormal activity franchise shouldnt have came out every year! Space shit out and maybe the Saw series wouldn't have been what it was. I like them, i just think it got too over the top towards the end. I agree with what someone elso said on how the 1st 3 were the best. But i'd add in 4 as well.
Idk, hollywood needs to think about stuff instead of just putting out what makes money!
kizzle
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

Headlines: 6
Relationship: In Relationship
Favorite Quote: "Welp, we're fucked"

Return to August/2012