Join the Community
[Login / Register]

<
TRENDING TOPICS

HorrorBid Is Almost The New HorrorDomain.com - We Need Your Feedback - Info!!
Greetings everyone! We have been talking about it for a good while now, and the time is ne…
Trailer For Eli Roth's THE GREEN INFERNO Finally Arrives!
Try and imagine being part a group of college friends who are all are protesting for a na…
The Newest Trailer For THE QUIET ONES Is Here!
With a team like Lionsgate, Exclusive Media, Traveling Picture Show Company, Midfield Fil…

A Nightmare on Elm Street (Remake) : The Review That Needs To Be Read

Bookmark and Share

Share your opinion with the world in this area as horror films get dissected by the fans who love them.

Re: A Nightmare on Elm Street (Remake) : The Review That Needs To Be Read

New postby hm4life » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:47 pm

Matt_Molgaard wrote:
hm4life wrote:as for this movie it made up for the crap that came after the 3rd movie and I really dig this remake and IMHO its kinda overly hated.

it definitely receives some unwarranted hatred. Ironically enough, the points the TS lists as qualities serve as most of the film's downfall.

the CGI is okay, but it launches with the bedroom/wall scene, and that is the epitome of awful CGI. It literally look like it climbed straight out of a student film. It picks up from there, but it's tough to shake that initial scene and the negative impact it has on the opticals.

The story itself offers some cool new additions, but ultimately the pacing is botched. I chalk this up to Bayers inexperience, and still, give the fact that it's his first feature film, feel he did a pretty fair job.

The acting isn't great. Kyle Gallner does a great job, but that's almost part of the problem; he outshines Rooney Mara as Nancy. There's another issue for me. Rooney was only decent. The acting is well executed, but Mara just doesn't bring the personality and charm that Langenkamp brought to the role and that leaves her sitting in the background, playing sidekick to Gallner's character.

Loved Haley as Freddy. He was excellent, and i loved the makeup; so much more realistic than the original makeup.

Overall, I consider it a pretty good remake. I think the flick could have been stronger, but it could have been a whole hell of a lot worse. I think of it like this; in an alternate universe where no past Nightmare films existed, I would enjoy that for a first installment. It's certainly creepy, and it's got some kick ass moments.

Not as fantastic as part one, but arguably superior to every other franchise effort sans 3 and New Nightmare.

I do agree about the CGI and Nancy Character was kinda stupid but the things that I loved about this remake was they made Freddy dark and creepy again because Nightmare 4-freddy's dead made him into a ass clown and where I laugh instead taking it as a horror movie. its not perfect but its not the worst thing I saw.
hm4life
Stalker:
Stalker:

Headlines: 1

New postby Sephit » Thu Oct 13, 2011 4:29 am

I think they spent a lot of time making freddy look different and that was kinda cool but I wish they went back to the all red sleeves from part 1, that would have been badass. That being an example of them not taking chances, the kills were super boring and so expected this time around. I swear everytime Freddy would kill someone, it would be through the stomach. Maybe once or twice but damn like every kill in the movie was through the stomach! The flashback of Freddy getting burned was super cheesy! When Freddy runs at the screen on fire, it was some of the worst CGI, well compared to the super terrible CGI of Freddy coming through the wall :slasher:
What they should have done was either do the classic scenes better or at least as good, not make them worse! Wtf? I went with a girl to see this and we both wore Freddy sweaters all stoked and then when we walked out, we were both super dissapointed and almost felt embarrassed wearing the sweaters because of that remake.
It sucks because Jackie spent a lot of time learning how to make the voice authentic to burn victims and they studied burn victims for his look and the new glove was kinda cool looking but they halfed ass the movie.
I guess you're right though, it certainly was a lot better than most of the sequels but they should have done what they did with the Friday remake and pay homage to the first 3 or 4 films in the franchise. If they would have mixed the creepiness of the first film with the creativeness of part 3, it would have been awesome. Oh well, it was a nice effort. This fan made trailer is a lot better than the remake though, check it out guys!
Sephit
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

New postby DrCam » Sun Oct 16, 2011 12:22 am

I thought that Freddy were the only good things about this movie.

My only beef with Platinum Dunes is that they always seem to focus so hard about reinventing the slasher in (insert remake here), that they forget there was an entire movie shot AROUND them.
DrCam
New User:
New User:

Headlines: 0
Relationship: Single
Favorite Sub-Genre: Slasher
XBox Live Gamertag: (PSN) DrCam1
Favorite Quote: ...and I'll leave you in this room, to rot.

New postby Nokturnas » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:55 pm

Although I agree, nothing beats the original, I didn't find the remake terrible. However, I didn't find it fantastic either. Kind of on the fence about this one. It was still a great experience to see 'Freddy' on the screen again though! :JASON:

Nokturnas
New User:
New User:

Relationship: In Relationship
Favorite Sub-Genre: Ghost/Haunt
Previous

Return to Horror Movie Reviews