Join the Community
[Login / Register]

<
TRENDING TOPICS

HorrorBid Is Almost The New HorrorDomain.com - We Need Your Feedback - Info!!
Greetings everyone! We have been talking about it for a good while now, and the time is ne…
CABIN FEVER Is Set To Be Remade! Details Inside
Most of you know that CABIN FEVER (2002) is a great Horror film which was directed by Eli…
Video: 10 Iconic Horror Movie Moments
Have you ever thought to yourself, what are the biggest and most memorable moments in Horr…

Like It Or Not -- MICHAEL MYERS BECAME A JOKE!

Bookmark and Share

From the classic era to the very latest of today's horror movies. This area is dedicated for horror movie discussion of all kind.

Like It Or Not -- MICHAEL MYERS BECAME A JOKE!

New postby JaneDoe » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:57 pm

Michael Myers Became a Joke!

After sifting through every installment of the Halloween series in a desperate attempt to quench my horror thirst during the hot summer months I have came to one conclusion. Michael Myers became a joke! I know there is boundless love for this character and I too am a fanboy but can we as fans not realize when enough is enough?

Dimension Films brutally killed Michael Myers in countless sequels ending with one of the worst movies ever to be recorded on 35mm film, Halloween 8. I just can't see why Halloween gets a pass. Is it because the mask is cool? Or is it some nostalgia from the late 70's that the public can't get over? These are just not good films.

Which brings me to the Rob Zombie remakes. Yes they are different but at least they made the character serious again and they were a giant leap forward in actually making Michael Myers seem "scary". Which you would think would be a must ingredient for the other 8 films, but it wasn't.

So why the love, am I just having a bad day or is this series just not that good?
JaneDoe
New User:
New User:

Headlines: 1
Relationship: In Relationship
Favorite Sub-Genre: Found Footage
Favorite Quote: Ahh!! Using the whole fist, Doc?!
HorrorBid is a "fan drivin" horror site which includes articles that are written by you the fans. Because of this some stories may have incorrect sourcing or other issues. If you have any concern about a post, please contact us by clicking here.

Re: Like it or Not, Michael Myers Became a Joke!

New postby AbominableDrPhibes78 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:11 am

I somewhat agree. While '78 as we can all agree on is fantastic, I personally like 2, 4, 5, (eh on 6), and H20, also. Otherwise, Resurrection was god awful. I LOVED Zombie's remakes. I'll admit I'm a Zombie fanboy as well, but that has nothing to do with my appreciation for both of those films.
AbominableDrPhibes78
New User:
New User:

Headlines: 0
Relationship: Single
Favorite Sub-Genre: Slasher
Favorite Quote: These are the eyes of a psychopath

New postby ghostkiller » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:16 am

I strongly disagree. The first, second, fourth, and fifth movies were all amazing. I agree that the end of the series was bad, I think that the series is amazing overall. I also strongly disagree with you saying that the Rob Zombie remakes were better than the originals. I thought that the remakes were freaking ridiculous.
ghostkiller
New User:
New User:

Headlines: 1
Relationship: Single
Favorite Quote: I exercise by swinging my machete

New postby Boisv » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:19 am

True, he did become a joke, as did most 80s slashers. But at least he never went to space.

I have a deep affection for this entire series. Halloween 4 was the first uncut rated R film I was ever allowed to watch. I was ten and I was hooked. I've been obsessed with Michael (and Freddy, and Jason...) from a very young age, even when all I knew were some trailers on TV.

But are they good movies? I feel that there is a solid trilogy of great films in there. It consists of Halloween, Halloween II, and Halloween H20. It should have all ended with H20. 4 and 5 are endearing, but they aren't great. They're full of late 80s cheese. Plus that timeline was ruined by the mess that was Part 6. H20 was exactly what the series needed. Part 8 is a genuine tragedy.

And I actually ended up enjoying the Zombie remakes quite a bit. They're good fun, and it was nice to see Michael taken that seriously again. It was nice to see this story remade by someone who is such an obvious horror fan. Even his second film I can enjoy, at least as a Rob Zombie film if not as a Halloween film. It sucks compared to other Halloween films, but compared to House of 1000 Corpses and Devils Rejects it's another fun Rob Zombie movie.

Finally, I have to throw in... Halloween III rules. :)
Boisv
Stalker:
Stalker:

Headlines: 0
Relationship: Married
Favorite Sub-Genre: Ghost/Haunt

New postby aceofspades70 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:49 am

Well, perhaps it could have something to do with the different directors involved? Let's take a peek...

Original: John Carpenter

H2: Rick Rosenthal

H3: Patrick Lussier

H4: Dwight H. Little

H5: Dominique Othenin Girird

H6: Joe Chappelle

H7: (H2O) Steve Miner

H8: Rick Rosenthal (2nd time here)

I'm not bashing anything or pointing fingers, but we all know that movies tend to use different directors for franchises.
aceofspades70
Maniac:
Maniac:

Headlines: 32

New postby joshk1986 » Thu Jun 21, 2012 2:24 am

aceofspades70 wrote:Well, perhaps it could have something to do with the different directors involved? Let's take a peek...

Original: John Carpenter

H2: Rick Rosenthal

H3: Patrick Lussier

H4: Dwight H. Little

H5: Dominique Othenin Girird

H6: Joe Chappelle

H7: (H2O) Steve Miner

H8: Rick Rosenthal (2nd time here)

I'm not bashing anything or pointing fingers, but we all know that movies tend to use different directors for franchises.

You mean Tommy Lee Wallace for H3 right?
joshk1986
Psychopath:
Psychopath:

Headlines: 3
Favorite Quote: Somebody blows their nose and you want to keep it?

New postby indygogo » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:51 am

This is actually a great topic and I do agree with a lot of your points. There are some good Halloween movies but the series overall probably has more misses than hits. I think people just like the whole idea of Michael Myers rather than actually getting into the films themselves. I mean how many Myers masks do you see on Halloween from kids who probably have never even seen the film. He has become pop culture.

And to respond to a Facebook post above. He was talking about all the Halloween sequels, not just H8.
indygogo
Stalker:
Stalker:

Headlines: 8
Next

Return to Horror Movie Talk